Saturday, November 25, 2017

Switching Time by Richard Baer book review

Switching Time - a doctor's harrowing story of treating a woman with 17 personalities
I was surprised to locate this book at my local library as I'd never heard of it. It's a decent book told by the perspective of the therapist that treated his first multiple.
I was hoping to discover what he thought and felt regarding the experience of observing someone switching. He never touched on that aspect. It's written quite clinically and a bit old school; no touching the client with either hugs or safe touch, even when the client would ask.
I did find it insightful into the therapist's point of view and techniques for working successfully with a Multiple.
No drama here which is refreshing.
The book, the memories can be highly triggering especially for those who suffered with ritual abuse. Memories are rather graphic. Read with caution and skip over the memory parts if needed.
Overall, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

No comments:

Reconnecting with earliest memories leads to shift in relationships

I have 5 or 6 relationships in my life which are relevant on a mostly daily basis: God, therapist, son 1, son 2 and new found friend of 2 mo...