Thursday, August 17, 2017

I Am David, My new favorite movie, a review

Being Autistic, there are few movies that I can whole heartedly relate to. "I Am David" is the exception.
Truth or fiction, doesn't really matter. This is the story of a young boy, who doesn't know how to smile and has experienced profound loss, abuse and neglect. He is completely on his own. I Get This.
He's taught the world is a terrible place, that there is no safe place and people are cruel. It's all he knew for his early years. He is told to trust no one and can't recognize good people from bad. I Get This.
People pry with that introductory question "where's your family?" It's like, the universal neurotypical greeting because the majority of persons have someone that loves them, misses them and is waiting for them at home. David has no one. Yes, I can relate. A child completely on his own, uncared for and unmissed.
It's a rarity to find a film with a plethora of parallels to my own life and suffering.
And the hope...the wish of finding someone that...genuinely, unconditionally cares...wow. I cried buckets.
Other characters continue to note how odd his eyes, so deep, like he's seen and experienced wounds no child should know. The seriousness of his face, devoid of any childlike innocence.
I love this movie. I positively love it from my heavily biased position.
I can relate.

No comments:

Reconnecting with earliest memories leads to shift in relationships

I have 5 or 6 relationships in my life which are relevant on a mostly daily basis: God, therapist, son 1, son 2 and new found friend of 2 mo...