Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Hypomania or Insomnia?

When my hypomania set in and I was approaching hour 32 of being wide awake, it was time to see my doctor.
I knew this was no ordinary bout of insomnia as I wasn't the least bit tired. On the contrary, I was wide awake, unable to sit still for more then a few minutes and...I felt good with no signs of slowing down or getting tired anywhere in the near future.
I wouldn't say my thoughts were clear as half the time my mouth couldn't verbalize the words, the thoughts fast enough. I definitely had moments of irritability when I couldn't talk fast enough.
Oh, and I was easily distracted. There were lots of unfinished sentences and projects left half done.
The only real downside to my hypomania was the uncertainty of knowing when it would end. In the next hour would I suddenly be overwhelmed with extreme tiredness? Could I schedule an appointment for tomorrow morning or will I have fallen fast asleep and slept through the alarm?
Okay, well, having CPTSD and flashbacks was a downer, too. I had more brief, intense flashbacks that occurred without any trigger and without warning. That was actually highly unpleasant.
Anyway, I wanted to compile an easy-to-read chart highlighting the differences between Hypomania and Insomnia as they are two very different animals.

No comments:

Reconnecting with earliest memories leads to shift in relationships

I have 5 or 6 relationships in my life which are relevant on a mostly daily basis: God, therapist, son 1, son 2 and new found friend of 2 mo...