Monday, December 18, 2017

The Magic Daughter and feeling pain

So, I'm reading this MPD memoir and gathering small yet huge insights.
Reading about the perception of pain. Jane Phillips had a high pain threshold but it was really that she was a "dissociator" (never heard that word before) so she would get really, really sick but not feel sick until she was passing out.
The interesting part for me was when a doctor poked her abdomen and she screamed, however, the subsequent 3x that he poked for pain, she felt nothing. Then after discussing with her therapist, "few dissociators would Allow pain to register the second, third or fourth time. "
This whole pain perception business is a true bane of both Autism and Multiplicity. I need to ease up on myself for both over and under reaction to pain, an often indescribable, hard to pinpoint condition of being In a body.

No comments:

Reconnecting with earliest memories leads to shift in relationships

I have 5 or 6 relationships in my life which are relevant on a mostly daily basis: God, therapist, son 1, son 2 and new found friend of 2 mo...