Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Chasing Mountains, Conquering Marys Peak

Since I moved here last August, I have been intrigued by the perpetual sight of majestic Marys Peak, the 4,000 foot mountain that I can see out my living room window. It the tallest peak in the Oregon Coastal Range and can be seen from everywhere in the county.
A few months back, I decided to drive up the mountain. I guess I should mention that I'm no fan of mountain driving, scant guardrails, no road shoulders and massive dropoffs, all part of driving various parts on my state. I must have made it up about a mile of hairpin turns before I quickly made a U and headed back down. I was riddled with panic.
Yesterday, as I viewed the mountain from my parking lot...it looked so enticing with the clouds gently rolling over in spots and peak still peeking. It was near sundown but I really wanted to capture of photo of her in her pretty cloud dress, so I hopped in my car and drove...just thinking I was going for a photo.
As I drove the ten miles, I could feel it welling up inside of me...destiny, fate, time to conquer my fear? I kept driving.
It must have been 20-30 miles of 15-30mph driving up the curvy, bodacious cliffs. I blasted my radio for sensory downing and focused solely on the intermittent yellow line often in the center of the road. I avoided looking over the edge. I didn't need that kind of stress. I stayed focus with oscillating moments of "this is Crazy!!!!" coupled with "OMG, this is a terrible idea!!!!"
As I'm driving, I hit a fog layer or two, the temperature dropped, visibility downgraded to fair and the windshield filled with misty droplets. Once or twice I checked my GPS only to find I had many miles, multiple minutes to go. I plowed onward and upward.
After what felt like a white-knuckle eternity, I spied a parking lot up ahead. I stopped, parking the car way back from the edge and got out. One of my first thoughts was "sh*t, how am I going to get back down?" I got out.
Wow, the view Was spectacular, I kid you not. The city lights sparse down below looked like a surreal city adrift on a foreign planet. The sky, and crescent moon, I felt so close to them, uncovered, naked and closer to them then I had ever been. And it was cold, as mist pelted at 45°, 10-15° cooler than down below. I hadn't expected that but then, I've rarely been on a mountain.
I took pictures. I laugh, I can see the fear...but I can also see the pride. I did a big thing. I conquered yet another big fear.
Now, everytime I see her throughout my day, I can say, "See, I was there!!! Way up high! I Did a Great, Brave Thing!!!"
Life is good
The force is strong in this one
Yeah, I took my time, in second gear and drove home, happy as a clam at a lobster bake.

No comments:

Reconnecting with earliest memories leads to shift in relationships

I have 5 or 6 relationships in my life which are relevant on a mostly daily basis: God, therapist, son 1, son 2 and new found friend of 2 mo...