Saturday, September 23, 2017

Whale Watching in Depoe Bay

I needed to drag my sorry butt up out of bed. I realized the seasons had turned and I was quickly falling into Autumns depression. The Spring to Fall transition has always hit me hardest. I made myself get up out of bed. I needed a plan, a destination.
I tried to think of a place is enjoy. The only thing that came to mind was the Pacific coast. Destination set for Depoe Bay, the world's smallest harbor. It's picturesque abutting the ocean with a rocky inlet that promised a good view.
I hadn't ventured to the coast in a few months. I must admit that I felt anxiety leaving home and often along the way. I decided to press on anyway.
One reason I took this "personal day" was because I needed to get away and have some time whereby I didn't need to talk or listen to anybody. Somehow that daily stress required abating. Driving off was the only way to find some peace and solace. Being alone rejuvenates me.
I found a parking spot right along the main road, quite fortuitous! I quickly figured out why the ocean was packed with people sporting binoculars and cameras.
Whales! The humpback whales were migrating and feeding in Depoe Bay. Whilst I'd heard of this phenomenon, I'd never witnessed seeing a real, live whale. Sure enough, I spotted whales shooting water out of their spots, whale backs glistening in the sunlight and the graceful descent of mighty whale tales slipping above and below the surface.
I was enthralled. Thrilled that I had brought binoculars, I brought the experience closer to view. Whales are massive, gentle creatures. Their size correlates to their energy and the harbor practically vibrated. It truly was a magnificent sight.
There were estimates that 5-6 whales were feeding at that time frame. I believe it, if not more. Truthfully, every couple of minutes brought a sighting. I'd never witnessed anything like it before. Two whales even came within 50 feet of shore, of where I was standing. Breathtaking.
I don't know how long I stayed along the concourse watching. It must have been at least an hour or two. Time stopped.
The sky was partly clouding with many periods of bright sun. The temperature an agreeable 60° or so. I took many photos and even a little video capturing the whale signs.
The decision to leave was difficult. I didn't want to turn away from the magical ocean waters teeming with telltale life.
I decided to leave and go down a couple dozen miles to Lost Creek beach. It's one thing to view the ocean, it's quite another to be on the shore touching sand, feeling water and picking up rocks.
I journeyed to the beach. It feels so free, so refreshing standing close to the freeflowing power of the mighty Pacif.
On the beach, I need to closely monitor myself...because I just want to pick a direction, the direction away from the most people, and just start walking...for hours, forever. I don't know why I have that familiar, reoccurring pull, but I'm aware of it. Sigh.
I loved being on the beach. I really, truly did.
Water, especially mighty oceanic water seems to heal all wounds.
It was time to head home. It was a wonderful day.

No comments:

Reconnecting with earliest memories leads to shift in relationships

I have 5 or 6 relationships in my life which are relevant on a mostly daily basis: God, therapist, son 1, son 2 and new found friend of 2 mo...